CREATE ACCOUNT

*

*

*

*

*

*

FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD?

*

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

PRIJEDOR MUNICIPALITY

MUNICIPALITY PRIJEDOR

HISTORY OF PRIJEDOR

Altough Prijedor is an urban settlement of a newer period its closer surrounding was populated during the pre-historic times, close to the Sana river itself. In the wider area of the municipality the remains of Roman and medieval settlements have been found.

In the area surrounding Ljubija, a lot of Roman remains have been found. These remains testify to settlements of this period and iron production, as well as a fact that iron ore from Prijedor mine was used to make weapons for Roman legionaries.

In documents, Prijedor was mentioned at the end of the 17th century for the first time in count Adam Bacani’s letters during the so called Vienna war (1683 -1699).

It is believed that the word Prijedor originates from the words “pridor” or “prodor”. According to folk memory, the Sana river used to flow southward, below the hills but it changed its flow and as folk says “pridjela” or “prodrla” northward. That area was called Pridor or Prodor. Very soon, Prijedor became an important commercial and trade centre thanks to Roman roads and navigation of the Sana river, as well as the first railway built in 1873.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the town was burnt in a great fire, which is why the Austro-Hungarian authorities made the first urban development plan in 1901 when Prijedor was built as a modern settlement.

TOP